Monday, May 12, 2008

The Easy-to-Make Old Fashioned Rag Doll



Originally uploaded by zavodk.
For Milo's Birthday he received a birthday package from his Tanta Sue from a Toy Garden. In it was not only 2 kits for Milo to put together but a little gift for me, too The Easy-to-Make Early American Folk Dolls Pattern Book.  The book details 12 doll patterns & some history of primitive dolls and american doll history. It was an enjoyable read & bonus, the patterns weren't hard to follow at all.  I have an aversion to patterns generally but was eager to get started with this...only after I helped Milo with his kits first, mind you....
This was my first attempt in making a doll. Its been on my mind for about 15 years...I had been wanting to make one for my cousin Genevie when she turned one....now she will be 16 at the end of this month....I am thinking it might be a bit late...
The doll making was a great learning experience and she turned out pretty good for a first try. Luckly I ran into some organic wool and cotton yarn this weekend at a flea market for 75 cents a skein so this little lovely can have some hair. Still flumoxed on how to add hair since it wasn't quite detailed in the pattern book. basically I just sewed it on with embroidery floss which seem to double as "barrettes".  I am enjoying the black cotton yarn, but if you look at her from behind, her hair appears to be dreadlocks, which I guess is kind of normal for yarn hair.... 

Here is a full frontal....it was great making the dress too...It came together alot easier than I thought.  A lot of fun too!
We delivered little miss to Bayliegh, Tanta Sue's daughter, this afternoon. She loved on her right away.  Speaking of loved on her....

here is Chris giving her some love before we walked out the door. I must go now, I am itching to cut out some more doll parts before the little one wakes up for some milk....
ciao!

No comments: